Are you aware of health risks related to alcohol consumption? Research suggests that most adults do not know how alcohol impacts the risk for disease.
The research, which included data from 3,865 adults, suggested that:
- 31.2% of US respondents are aware of the alcohol-cancer link for hard alcohol.
- 24.9% are aware of the alcohol-cancer link for beer.
- 20.3% are aware of the alcohol-cancer link for wine.
- Over 50% of adults did not know how any alcohol consumption impacts cancer risk.
- Awareness was similar regardless of if the adult regularly consumed alcohol or did not.
The Hearty Take
Research suggests that between 2013-2016, alcohol consumption contributed to over 75,000 cancer cases each year and 19,000 cancer-related deaths each year. This new research suggests the importance of alcohol-cancer education in mediating cancer risk and preventing cancer-related deaths. Educate your loved ones - let’s start a ripple effect!