Dr. David Perlmutter is a board-certified neurologist and author. He believes that dealing with chronic inflammation is crucial to living longer, disease-free. Here’s why he thinks vegetable consumption should be at the top of the list of tools used to combat inflammation:
- Research shows that a higher vegetable consumption dramatically decreases markers of inflammation.
- Vegetables are rich in dietary fiber which helps combat inflammation by nurturing gut bacteria.
- Vegetables contribute to a healthier gut microbiome which typically reduces gut leakiness or “permeability of the gut lining.” Reduced gut permeability can decrease inflammation.
- Vegetables also contain anti-inflammatory chemicals which help combat inflammation.
- These anti-inflammatory chemicals help reduce uric acid levels which contributes to reduced inflammation.
Here are some fiber-rich vegetables to focus on:
- Chicory root
- Dark leafy greens
- Dandelion greens
- Jerusalem artichokes or sunchokes
For more read his latest blog.