Dan Buettner is a researcher, author and founder of the Blue Zones®, a company dedicated to creating healthy communities. Along with two other demographers, he discovered 5 places with the highest density of people who live the longest and healthiest (the so-called “Blue Zones”), one of which is Nicoya, Costa Rica. Here are the factors he uncovered that explain their longevity:
- Long-lived individuals of Nicoya have a purpose.
- They drink water rich in calcium.
- They live with their family.
- They eat light at dinner.
- They have fulfilling social networks.
- They do daily physical chores as exercise.
- They get regular sunshine.
- They have a strong history and culture rooted in low stress traditions.
For more read the details on the BlueZones blog.