Dan Buettner is a researcher, author and founder of the Blue Zones®, a company dedicated to creating healthy communities. Along with two other demographers, he discovered 5 places with the highest density of people who live the longest and healthiest (the so-called “Blue Zones”), one of which is Loma Linda, California. Here are the factors he uncovered that explain their longevity:
- They take a 24 hour weekly break from regular life.
- They maintain a healthy weight, as measured by BMI.
- They regularly exercise.
- They emphasize socialization with like-minded people.
- They regularly consume nuts.
- They regularly help others.
- They don’t heavily consume meat; they consume a plant-rich diet.
- Their dinner is early and light.
- They stay hydrated.
For more read the details on the BlueZones blog.