Dan Buettner is a researcher, author and founder of the Blue Zones®, a company dedicated to creating healthy communities. Along with two other demographers, he discovered 5 places with the highest density of people who live the longest and healthiest (the so-called “Blue Zones”), one of which is Okinawa, Japan. Here are the factors he uncovered that explain their longevity:
- They have an ikigai (or purpose).
- They eat mainly plant-based.
- They eat soy regularly.
- They emphasize gardening in their culture (a good means of physical activity).
- Their gardens are dense in plant medicine.
- They get daily sunshine.
- They have supportive social networks.
- They are regularly active.
- Their attitudes help with resiliency.
For more read the details on the BlueZones blog.